Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Windows to Genius Quilt and Other Stuff

Here is the big boy bed quilt Tyler received for his birthday last week! I just love the colors. He just loves the colors. And the animals, and the stripes. So happy that he's proud of the quilt and wanted to be in the picture too!

I had seen this pattern in the April 2007 issue of Quilt magazine. I said to myself back then, "If only I can have a grandson some day, I want to make this quilt for him." And I did!

The walls of his room are True Turquoise (Glidden paint color) and the quilt looks yummy with them. Someone's favorite colors are yellow and orange, so no wonder this is a hit, right?

I threw some solids and semi-solids in with the original Animal Party (Amy Schimler/Robert Kaufman) prints. I had hoarded those lovely fat quarters since they came out, because, Hello? I wanted a grandson!

Do you ever buy fabric and save it because some day you'll have the perfect use for it? A gift maybe? It feels good to put it to use.

I'd like to thank my friend, Nancy Troyer, for doing such a lovely job quilting it with large swirls all over. It perfectly complements all the angular piecing. The back and binding are a very deep turquoise, in case you are curious.

My next project is a coordinating pillow case from the remaining yardage and scraps. I'm thinking a pieced border. How cute will that be???  Please note that my "next project" list is pretty long and the pile up is starting to be an embarrassment. help!

Other news: Barnes and Noble Story Time is such a huge deal! So much fun, it is free and includes craft time and cookie and other kids to interact with! And because it is at 11am, guess who gets to have a lunch date after? Me! Books galore and lunch with my favorite 3 year old. Heaven! We have been thrifty and gotten pizza slices at Sam's Club next door to B and N. Who knew Tyler would be a people watcher like me? He is a hoot! He makes everyone around us smile and comment on his amazing vocabulary and sense of humor. He went up to the food counter and asked them if they toss their pizza dough in the air before they cook it! The look on the girl's face was priceless.

Birthday Gift Favorite: I found this violin (at JC Penney of all places) after Christmas - it ended up being like $5 with coupons and discounts. My mom gave it to him. Tyler about cried he was so happy. He shouted "A violin! I always wanted one!" and he played it for TWO HOURS. This is a 3 year old with the normal 10-15 minute attention span. It is awesome to behold. He said he is like the kids on Little Einsteins, and he plays it off and on every day. He bows after every performance. I melt. We are all so proud!

“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” ― Plato

Other favorite toys he got: packs of playing cards - Old Maid, Go Fish, Crazy Eights. A soccer ball and cowboy outfit. A cash register for playing restaurant and store. Small knights on horseback with weapons to go with the castle his pediatrician gave him. The new, replacement golf set. The old one has been completely destroyed due to Hallway Hockey being a rough sport for plastic clubs. Also, the bathtub pirate set is not going to be boring any time soon.

Will someone please tell me how you can possibly love anyone so much as a first grandchild? Who knew it could be so wonderful and rewarding every day? I am so very lucky and blessed and thankful. Yes I am!

Finally, I would like to thank everyone for stopping by. My blog reading counter has tripped over the 10,000 mark! Woo hoo!

Until next time, enjoy every day, and love the little ones in your life especially. YOU can make all the difference.
Fun Stuff Fridays

1 comment:

Sewing Princess said...

Love the quilt and Tyler´s face sneaking out is priceless. It´s great he loves his violin so much. He really seems a sweet boy and I am sure all the fun activities with his grandma play a role. Can´t wait to see the pillow you make for him.