Friday, January 29, 2010

First 2 Pillowcase Dresses Done

Here are the first two! I had to totally deconstruct the animal print pillow case so that the animals would not be going down the dress, but across instead. I still have to hem that one, but it turned out cute. 

The second one has straight stripes on one side, wavy stripes on the other. I used the pieces I trimmed off to make a little purse, and to add a pocket to the dress. I like it.

This weekend I should be able to get 4 or 5 more done so I can add them to the donation box for Haiti and get that delivered to the church next week. 

Challenge yourself this weekend! Get out one of your own pillowcases, or get one from a thrift store, and try this. Once I figured out that the hem of the case = the hem of the dress and used store bought extra wide double fold bias tape for the arm holes, it was a piece of cake to make them.

If you do make one or two, I would love to see a pic of the finished products!

3 comments:

Mimisharon said...

Yea, I'm in!

These are gorgeous. Think I have some fabric you sent me that I can make up into these little dresses. I don't want to wait to find the pillow cases. Thanks for the tip on the wide binding. Those purses are so cute, too. Did you put a zipper in them?
Hugs,
Sharon

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

absolutely adorable! My post this week is for a fundraiser for Make a Wish. I hopped over from Sew Much Ado and am so happy that I did! Please accept my invitation to drop in at my place one day this week when you get a moment. until later...

Marvelously Messy said...

What a great idea. I have been sewing up pillow case dresses for summertime for my Munchkin....and now, I am inspired ot make them for someone else. Thanks!! :-)